Thursday, July 4, 2013

Charity Ride Report: Tour(s) de Cure and MS Cape Town Getaway: by Jeremy Bousquet


By: Jeremy Bousquet

When I set my goal of completing 1,000 miles for charity this year, I did not know what to expect and I remember the day I realized I would be completing almost 8 full centuries and two double centuries this year, all while raising money for charity. As the first rides quickly approached in early May, I was wondering if I was ready, if I trained enough, and what riding a hundred miles on a bike was going to be like. Before I had time to completely freak out about this, the Tour De Cure Gran Fondo came up on the calendar, and I found myself sitting at the start line, ready to complete my first ever century ride (that's me on the far right in the front row).


The elephant in the room is that almost three years ago I sat in my bed with the latest news that I was facing yet another surgery to fuse my ankle to my lower leg in an attempt to save my foot (and eventually my leg) from being amputated. I sat in that bed at my heaviest weight of 461 lbs, facing a textbook of medical problems, any of which could end my life very soon. It was at that point that I decided to change who I was, and the weight loss journey began. Because of modern medicine, a staff of people who believed in me, and most of all the drive and will to live, I currently sit at a healthy weight of 213 lbs, having lost 248 lbs (and counting). I turned to cycling as a means to push myself and to generate physical activity, which in my situation is a hard thing considering that much of my body does not like to stay in place when I move about.
The decision to ride for charity in 2013 came to me as a means to give back to the medical community and individuals that face medical issues like I did, plus I wanted to give back so that maybe someday someone fighting to live could succeed like I did and become a life long cyclist or play it again athlete. As it stands today, July 3, 2013, I have logged well over 1600 miles on my Trek Madone. I have accomplished 390 miles of my 1000-mile-for-charity goal and I am honored to do it as a part of the Qualey Granite/Rose Bike Team.



Tour(s) de Cure- 2013

            My first two race/rides of the year happened to be for the same cause and a cause that hits home for my family and I. The Tour de Cure is an event to create awareness and cures for type 1 and type 2 diabetes. This year I signed up for two events, the Tour de Cure in Topsfield, MA and the Tour de Cure in Kennebec, ME. Both events where very well organized and both had very challenging century rides. With the events taking place in picturesque regions of Maine and Massachusetts, cyclists were treated to great beautiful scenery. The Tour de Cure in Topsfield had about 800+ riders for the event, 117 of which where doing the century ride. The Kennebec ride had fewer registered riders overall and only 40ish brave riders registered for the century.


The Tour(s) de Cure where both conquered with ease for me as my group training rides and team setup helped me prepare for the events. Great nutritional support from Honey Stinger products and a perfectly tuned bike from Rose Bike made the event possible, and even enjoyable. All said and done, in both events I was able to average an 18+ mph pace for over 100 miles, as both races went over the advertised distances. Two down and many more to come…..


M.S. Cape Town Getaway
            This event has become my favorite event so far, and I know that what you are saying. It being only my third event of the year and riding season, I do not know if another event can top this one. The level of organization, the volunteers, the riders, and the food and beer, and oh ya, the ride its self, all set a bar for all rides to reach for. First, you need to understand that this is a two-day ride; you ride from UMass Boston to Mass Maritime in Bourne, MA with possible routes ranging from 78 or 100 miles (Naturally, I opted for the century). Then if that was not enough, you got your rear end out of bed and pedaled another 78 miles to the end of the cape in Providence Town, MA, all to raise money for a great cause, to support people who are battling M.S. and to find a cure.



            Over 2,000 riders rode this event and raised well over $2,000,000 for the cause. The ride itself started off with a little rain and very muggy conditions. As the day progressed, the moisture in the air did not want to go away, and this made for slick conditions and even sketcher riding lines. With the range of  riding abilities that where present on the road, an accident was bound to occur, but this event did not see a single crash that reported an injury or loss of bike. I attribute this to the level of organization, communication, and presence of police and traffic guards at every intersection.
            It’s one thing to have police presence and great route markings, but to move over 1800 bags, store over $1,000,000 in bikes, and feed well over 3,000 people is quit an undertaking and one that this ride did with ease. To say it is one thing, but to see it in action is another. I take my hat off to the volunteers, the police men and women, and most of all the riders for creating an event that was well planned out, well funded, and most of all, very enjoyable for everyone. I was happy to wear the green and white team jersey and to share my ride with our team and sponsors. Most of all, I was honored to represent the Qualey Granite/Rose Bike Team, the state of Maine, and to ride for an awesome cause.




Bring on the next one……  

No comments:

Post a Comment