Thursday, July 24, 2014

Race Report: Carrabassett Backcountry Challenge 2014 50 K: A novice female rider’s first victory by Eliza Cronkite

Let me preface this by saying that mountain biking and I have had a love/hate relationship since my inception into the sport two years ago. I never really rode bikes as a kid, so the sport of mountain biking has had steep learning curve.

One of many scrapes, bruises, or impalements suffered over the past two years.
 
I reluctantly entered this race last year, as a challenge to myself, I guess. I think I must have walked at least half of the 50 K race course and was ridiculously happy to see the finish, vowing I would never do such a thing again. Fast-forward to this year and I am sitting at the start line in the novice 50 K group…again… and why not? I love a challenge, am fitter, and have many more trail hours under my belt this year, so perhaps I can ride more terrain and beat last years’ time, at the very least.

After the count-down, off we went; a mass of novices! I placed myself firmly in the middle-to-front pack of faster racers and pushed hard. After a few hiccups in the first muddy miles and some jockeying for a good position, I found myself with some breathing room and a couple of guys keeping a good pace to trail.

I passed other racers on the uphill and flat sections, was passed by other racers on the technical sections and downhills, and yo-yoed with a couple of guys in the novice division which made for some good laughs and company along the way. I was amazed at my bike handling skills around some of the more technical rocky and rooted areas compared to last year, as well as my willingness to try descending more of the scary downhill. I guess that putting in the trail miles has helped and maybe, just maybe this whole mountain biking thing is kind of fun and is going to stick after all…

There was one awkward section a little over halfway through the race  where they have racers crossing in front of other racers paths (some sort of loop and back onto the main trail). I was coming through and called out my number, then started up this nasty hill and the official says, “Hurry up, please.” If looks could kill, that guy would be dead! Hurry up this hill after all these other hills and not to mention the fact that I’m racing and not out for a Sunday ride? Are you kidding me, Pal? Well, other than this guy’s poor choice of words at the wrong time, all of the officials/organizers in this race were just awesome and very encouraging.

After 4 hours 34 minutes and some seconds, I crossed the finish line, thirsty as hell and feeling like I was going to puke; probably how everyone else feels too. I did better about feeding myself during this race, which I think helped my energy and stamina. Last year in the interest of saving time, I think I might have had one package of Chomps during the entire race. This year, I had some Chomps and a couple of Bonk Bars; thanks, Rose Bike for the good race food!

This race is so diverse and I think that is what I like best about it. You really need a multitude of skills to do well in this race. You can’t just be a great road biker or mountain biker. You’ve got to have both sets of skills, good endurance, and a strong sense of adventure. There are trail sections that rival the Kingdom in Vermont (awesome!); there are trails that are only fit for hiking, in my opinion and no one has any business being on these trails on a bike; there are also L-O-N-G uphill stretches that really challenge the strength and will.

I am very pleased with my performance: I beat last years’ time by 21 minutes, rode way more of the technical sections and scary downhill than last year, came in first place in my division, and most importantly had a ton of fun! It was also a pleasure to race with these other badass, adventurous women. I look forward to doing this race again next year and am even considering the 100 K…
1st place on the Rock Podium - Sugarloaf in the background
 

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on a great race! Loved reading about your progress & the love-hate thing. Good words for a newbie trail rider to read.

    ReplyDelete