Saturday, October 26, 2013

Race Report: Cyclocross at Quarry Road, Waterville, ME. By Eric Roy

This year was the inaugural cyclocross race at Quarry Road Recreational Center in Waterville, Maine, put on by Embrocation Cycling.  Because I actually own a cyclocross bike (It’s my road bike/skinny tire trail bike)… it would have been bad bike juju if I didn’t enter a cyclocross race that took place in my back yard.  Local races are fantastic… you wake up at a reasonable hour, race, and you’re home before dinner… no hotels, camping,  packing food, or tightening up during a long drive home.  This is what it must be like to race bikes when you live in southern New England. 

Upon arrival to Quarry Road Recreational Center (fantastic facility), I checked in quickly and got ready to ride the course.   I ended up hooking up with with Christian from Pat’s Bike Shop in Brewer, who is a really strong rider but had never raced cross, so the preride was a bit like the blind (him) leading the blind (me)... but a good time nonetheless.   The course was a good mix of hard gravel, soft sand, and grass.  It also had a TON of very tight turns and a few of those silly barriers where you have to dismount/remount ( 2 of the barriers were knee height, and one was basically a short set of steps made out of railroad ties.)  Different than what I’m used to, but the course was a blast to ride and was manageable overall.  This put my mind at ease a little bit.

Before long, the announcement came out that called the Cat 4/5 racers to the starting area.  Not really knowing what to expect in a cross race, I slotted myself in the very back of the pack so I wouldn’t block out someone who deserved to be in contention.  The common advice that I got from seasoned cyclocross racers was basically to start fast, go  “all out”, and it’ll only hurt for 40 minutes.  Piece of cake.

Ready… go

I went “all out” for a minute or two … then there was a split in the course about 100 yards in where it was not clear which way to go.  Apparently a section of marking tape had fallen or something… so we were called back for a restart.  Not a big deal at all.  I actually kind of liked it because I got another crack at starting position.   (At the point where the race was halted, I had moved up to near the front of the field… so I didn’t slot myself as far back for the restart) 

Ready … go (again).

I went  “all out” (again),  and was sitting in the lead pack off the start line.  Apparently there are different levels of “all out.”   I was going “all out” at a pace that was sustainable for about 2 minutes… which is not the same as going “all out” for 40 minutes.   I was quickly dropped from the lead group.  It was also around this time that it occurred to me that I had no idea what I was doing in the way of riding a cyclocross bike…. Both of these things contributed to what may have been the least efficient riding performance of all time.  While we are on the topic of inefficiency… dismounting/remounting during a race is a lot different than the time I practiced it on flat, smooth, hard ground.  I’m pretty sure that each time I remounted my bike after the barriers, I had the grace (and success) of someone trying to climb on top of a floating beach ball.  This race was supposed to be a learning experience, but I didn’t like getting passed because I couldn’t get back on the bike.

As the race went on…  I started to get the hang of cornering, and I was able to carry a bit of “free speed” through the course.   I never got the hang of dismounting/remounting for the barriers, so I continued getting passed regularly and had to fight hard to regain position.  However, I found that the railroad tie steps could were bunnyhoppable (sp?),  and I was able to clear these barriers faster than the people who dismounted… this allowed me to pick off a few riders that had passed me early on in the race.  Because I was too far behind to work my way back into contention, my goal was to finish strong and battle it out with some people who were in my section of the field.  I had a pretty good battle going with a guy (I forgot his name) for almost the entire final lap, but I was able to shake him with about 200 yards left in the final lap.  It was all over very quickly.   Overall, I finished somewhere mid pack, and learned a lot.

Things I learned:

  • Ernest Gagnon is an impressive and fantastic human.  I had the honor of racing with him and I got a chance to talk to him after the race.  Google him now.
  • Warming up is important.  Lately, most of my events have been long/endurance, so warmup occurred during the race.  This is not the correct strategy for cyclocross.   My body was not “ready to go” until halfway through the race.
  • It’d be useful to learn the correct pace for a 40 minute race.
  • I need to learn how to handle a cyclocross bike.  Free speed is important in an event where you corner 10 million times.
  • Cyclocross is fun


Local races are sweet.  Our team should do a better job supporting them.

No comments:

Post a Comment