Monday, October 28, 2013

Race Report: 2013 Bond Brook Treadfest, Augusta, Maine. By Eric Roy

The Bond Brook Tread Fest is a cross country mountain bike race held for the second year in Augusta, Maine.   The trails at Bond Brook are a blast, and the facility itself is a perfect example of what can happen when a town/city gets works hand in hand with the local outdoor recreation community to develop a coherent trail network on city owned land.  One thing that I really enjoy about this trail system is that the trails can be enjoyed by all ability levels.  Experts can rip through the twisty turns, but the track itself is relatively smooth and not intimidating to a beginner rider.   According to my GPS, the race course loop was about 6.5 miles long and had about 800 feet of climbing per lap… and it’s almost 100% singletrack. 

We had a pretty decent showing of people from the Qualey Granite/Rose Bike Team.   Bill Brown, Craig MacDonald, Corey Adams, and myself raced in the Expert category (3 laps), Corey Oderman, Scott Neal, and Frank Cookson raced Sport (2 laps), and Julie Brown competed in the Novice (1 lap) category. 
  
After a quick pre race meeting, the Expert class lined up and took off.  This year, the race organizers sent us around the parking lot to help spread us out… this was a good thing because we weren’t all over each other once we hit the woods.  By the time I hit the woods, I was somewhere mid pack, pretty much even with Craig, and a fair bit behind Bill (our quickest rider that day), and way behind the race leaders (Tony Giguere and Andrew Freye were flying).   

Eric and Craig

Bill Brown

Corey Adams

Frank Cookson

Julie Brown



After the first climb up “insulator” I was feeling good (not great) but I was hoping that my legs would come to life a little later on like they do sometimes.  I tend to start slow & finish strong anyways… so I wasn't concerned.  A little bit into the first lap, Craig started struggling a bit with cramps (I think), and he fell off the pace.  At the time I thought to myself that this was too bad because he has made some incredible strides in his first year racing bikes, and I really wanted a good result for him. It was also about this time that I caught a glimpse of another white jersey riding right on my tail.  I figured that it was Corey Adams… but it was the other Corey, who was absolutely crushing the Sport class, as evidenced by him picking off guys in the Expert class.  That’s a pretty good indicator that Corey will be racing in a different category next year. 


Corey O. Chasing Paul Denis from Insight MRI


                                                       Corey O. crushed the Sport Class

Corey and I chatted a bit until I insisted that he pass me because it was clear that he could go faster.  I knew that some of the Bikeman guys in the Sport class had raced as Experts earlier in the year, so I was expecting them to be right behind him… but no one came for a long time.  After about 6 minutes, the guy who was in 2nd place in the sport category caught up to me and as he passed, asked if Corey was liable to blow up… I said… “honestly… I have no idea… the dude just started racing bikes”.   Corey has dropped something like 70 lbs since winter and and has been riding a ton.  Monster.   It was around this time that Craig apparently sorted out whatever issues he was having because had caught me.  This was fine by me, because I could stick to his rear wheel.   I think Craig and I leapfrogged positions a couple of times but ultimately I just couldn’t keep up so I made the decision to let him go and dial it back a bit so I wouldn’t completely blow up nutritionally and literally.  I had to tip my hat to Craig that day… he had the legs… I did not.  



I was having a hard time staying on the trail as it was… and a physiological meltdown would not help things at all.  For me, the finish line could not come fast enough, and I finished in a little under 2.5 hours, behind Craig and Bill from our team.   Also, Corey Odermann was able to hold on to win the overall sport class race, and Julie Brown won her division as well.  Not too bad for what is probably the last race of the year for most of us.  Stay posted for a year end recap at some point soon

Overall:
Bond Brook is an awesome venue, and the Treadfest is a great event.  Huge props to Chris Riley and his crew, as well as the City of Augusta. 

I witnessed the coolest thing I'd seen in a race that day.  Dave Richard (one of the Central Maine Cycling Club Racers) did the race side by side with his young daughters, at their pace.  I hope everyone cheered for them and offered support when they hopped off the trail and graciously allowed the more competitive people to pass them.  

                                                       Two of the Richards looking strong! 

                                       The Richard Family Finishing Together!  Freaking Awesome!


Local Races are awesome.  If we do not support them… they will not exist anymore… though this one has caught fire

Everyone should be asking Corey O. to do a writeup for this event.  The guy has dropped a ton of weight and become an animal in one season.  Anyone who doesn't think they can get fit and fast needs to look to him for inspiration.

*** All Photos are from Bond Brook Tread Fest FB page.

No comments:

Post a Comment